So far ah..she can be quite repetitive, but she's actually quite cool. I'm warming up to her slowly. She has plenty of taboos and pantangs, collected over the span of 23 years.
Below are some of Tilam's pantang larangs:
- Okay we have the usual classic, no showering or washing hair until the 12th day. Then after the 12th day, no showering and washing of hair until the end of the month.
- No wine in my food until the 12th day because i had a c-section.
- I am not allowed to drink boiled water until full moon because it'll make me puffy / swollen. So everyday i need to drink this weird concotion of red dates with kei chi drink. And i can drink hot milo.
- I can't eat anything cooked with salt until the 12th day
- I have no idea what's so special about the 12th day
- I have to sit down when I drink
- I cannot eat any fruits except for apples
- I cannot eat most vegies except for Kailan and broccoli, and yep you guess it, until the 12th day
- I cannot eat chicken until the 12th day because it's toxic. I have been eating fish and pork every single day *sniff*
- I cannot wear anything sleevless, must cover my arms if not the "wind" will go in.
- When babies have hiccups, you take a piece of tissue paper, cut it into postage stamp size, wet it with water and stick it onto the baby's forehead. Well, as weird as it might sound, we tried it and it works.
- You don't need to burp the baby if she's on breast milk. Only do it when she's on formula. I have no idea whether this is true or not la
- When you bring your baby out shopping etc, do not refer her by her name. Instead give her a nickname like Ah Girl, Baby or whatever names you can think of la. This is so that nothing will follow her home.
- When you're in the hospital and ready to be discharged, say "Peanut, it's time to go home" and when you reach home, say "Peanut, you're finally at home, welcome home" or something like that lah.
- Rub the two big toes on baby's feet constantly to get a smarter baby.
- To prevent jaundice, Tilam squeezed three pieces of grapes to extract the juice onto a soup spoon(must be 3 only okie), and fed it to Peanut. Oh, and the grapes have to be green. Drink only once a day.
- She bathed Peanut in guiness stout (mixed with tap water of cos) to prevent red spots.
- Babies can't wear anything yellow, so that she won't get jaundice. Even the towel that she use after she showered can't be yellow
- Um..wot else. To check your baby for jaundice, use your forefinger and press lightly on the baby's forhead, her chest and cheeks. Press maybe for 3 to 4 seconds. If the skin rises up quickly after that, and the color goes back to pinkish hue, then the baby's alright. But after you press and the skin does not rise up immediately, and there's a yellowish tint then you gotta see the doctor. Oh, and plus the eyes cannot be yellowish too. She told me the doctor taught her how to do this.
Confinement for me has been pretty okay so far, because I get to spend all my time with Peanut without any interruptions and I get to lie down in bed the whole day. What's not to like ya?