Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Homemade yoghurt using Easiyo yoghurt maker

I love Easiyo yoghurt because it's so easy to make and it's good. But sometimes the easiyo yoghurt powder (approximately RM16.50 per packet) with the flavor that I want is hard to find and I thought I can try making my own. Can save $$ at the same time hehe

Now that I'm at home constantly, now is the best time to experiment on food.

After googling (love google, endless trove of info) endlessly on various methods to make homemade yoghurt (with some requiring me to boil the milk, using thermometer, putting them in various pots and pans and cooling them down in a cool place) , I finally found a few that uses the Easiyo yoghurt maker. No need to boil, no need fresh milk, and  no need thermometer!!


All you need is this:
  • A tub of yoghurt that contains live culture(approximately RM4.50)
  • Easiyo yoghurt maker (perfect if you have one sitting in your pantry)
  • Full cream milk powder (any brand will do but it has to be be full cream) (less than RM20)
 

 
containes live culture 

Instructions:
  • Put 4 cups of milk powder into the easiyo container 
  • put 2 tbsp of yoghurt 
  • Fill up the inner bottle with cool, boiled water and shake vigorously!


Place it in the outer bottle as how you would do normally with the Easiyo yoghurt maker, and fill it with hot water and that's it!! Leave it for approximately 8 to 12 hours (I left it for 24 hours once, no problemo)  Once it's set, you can put it in the fridge.




Pleased to report that the kids and I do not have any tummy aches after consuming all the yoghurt so it's certified safe! haha You can add flavors, fruits, whatever you want but I prefer to eat it plain or add it to my oats.

Now, 4 cups of milk powder may seems a lot (it was to me).  I've tried experimenting with 2 cups of milk powder with 2 tbsp of yoghurt, and even 1 cup of milk powder and 2 tbsp of yoghurt. I seems to get thicker yoghurt with 4 cups of milk powder, so I guess it' up to you how many cups you want to put inside. Just experiment, because at the end, you will still get yoghurt. :)  and if it's too runny, you can make chicken curry and substitute your coconut milk with yoghurt.

 To start on a next batch of yoghurt, you can just take 2 tbsp of yoghurt from the ones you made as it contains live culture and just make your yoghurt as per instructions above.

No comments: